Centre for Genomics and Oncological Research (GENyO)
GENyO is a mixed centre with stakes held by the Regional Ministry of Innovation, Science and Enterprise, the Regional Ministry of Health, the University of Granada and the pharmaceutical company Pfizer. This centre has been devised as a space for excellence research in genomic medicine, focussing on the comprehensive study and understanding of the genetic basis of human diseases in general, placing special emphasis on cancer and its genetic disorders related to inheritance.
GENyO was created as a multidisciplinary research space, where different professionals from the healthcare, university and business areas interact, making it possible to generate new systems to diagnose, prevent and treat diseases based on the joint and coordinated application of first-rate knowledge in the different areas of genetics.
This centre is the benchmark centre of the Andalusian Program for Research in Clinical Genetics and Genomic Medicine, a program which, together with those of Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine, and Nanomedicine have the main objective of supporting and fostering translational research in Advanced Therapies. The activities performed within these three research programs are developed in coordination with the Andalusian Initiative for Advanced Therapies (IATA), an initiative of the Andalusian Government promoted by the Regional Ministries of Health and Innovation, Science and Enterprise.
Address: Health Technology Park.
Avda. de la Ilustración 114, 18016 Granada. Spain.
Phone. +34 958 715 500
GENyO is the first national centre devoted to genomics that integrates the Public Administration, the University and the biotechnology and pharmaceutical business sector, which would allow the integration of research in all its phases, from the generation of knowledge to its development in clinical and pharmaceutical applications, the development of new projects and services for the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases associated to human genetic variability, such a cancer and rare diseases, diabetes, hypertension or degenerative diseases, among others. The centre has been designed with the aim of becoming an international benchmark centre, where excellence research is perfumed in the space of convergence and interaction of genomics applied to health.
GENyO shall focus its efforts on establishing technological approaches aimed at resolving citizens’ health problems. The centre arises with the philosophy of doing basic, applied and translational research. Its objective is to minimize the times between the development of new technologies, products and/or procedures, and their possible application to health.
GENyO’s main objectives can be summarized as follows:
- As a benchmark centre in research into genetics and genomics applied to health, developing and support the research in this field throughout the Autonomous Region of Andalusia.
- Promoting technology transfer between the centre’s research groups and the business sector.
- Promoting development of clinical research in genetics and genomics aimed at resolving citizens’ health problems, within the framework of the Andalusian Public Health System (SSPA), National Health System (SNS) and equivalent entities.
- Educating and training healthcare personnel from the SSPS, SNS and similar or people interested in the areas of genetic medicine and genomic medicine, being the benchmark centre for training these professionals in collaboration with other entities and institutions.
- Promoting creation of alliances between the centre and other entities (companies, universities and health sector institutions), as well as participation of it in scientific networks, focussed on applying genetics and genomics in clinical practice at a regional, national and international level.
- Genotyping Unit: genotyping of marker sequences.
- Genomics Unit: gene expression assays by microarrays, Real-Time PCR, sequencing services, fragment analysis (STRs), etc.
- Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Genetic epidemiology and Computational Biology.
- Flow Cytometry Unit
- Microscopy and Molecular Image Unit: confocal and general microscopy unit of various image acquisition platforms.
- Cell Culture and Biological Resources Unit.